Monday, January 20, 2014

30 Day Blogging Challenge: Day 19

Day 19: Your Favorite Movie

How can anyone ever answer this question?  You want serious drama, All About Eve.  You want a life affirming comedy, Auntie Mame.  You want favorite horror series, Hellraiser.  You want favorite dark comedy, the original Evil Dead trilogy.  Favorite buddy movie, The Last Lovecraft.  Favorite Sci-Fi, I stand by Event Horizon even though it could also be categorized as horror.  Favorite musical, Cabaret.  Favorite cartoon movie, though I love Malificent in Sleeping Beauty more than anything (best villain ever) I'm going to go with Disney's Robin Hood tied with the Reader's Digest Presents, The Little Mermaid (where she dies at the end).  Honorable mention should go to The Fox and the Hound and The Hobbit/The Lord of the Rings/The Return of the King,  I wore out those VHS tapes.  Favorite vampire movie, Bram Stoker's Dracula.

Seriously, I can keep going.  I LOVE MOVIES!  Movies are my jam and I love them so very much.  I seriously have an entire wall covered in movies.  I have VHS/DVD/Blurays, collections, boxed sets, promo discs, copies of movies burned on DVDs from movies that no longer exist because they never made the crossover to DVD and beyond.  I love flicks.

I was an only child and these were my best friends.  My dad had to work all the time and I was a latch key kid and nothing is ever on when you want to watch it, so I turned to movies.  If I had a bad day, I could choose to wallow or be cheered up depending on what I put in the player.  I could discover new worlds or visit those I already loved.  They were the background noise I needed to keep being alone in the house from being scary.  They were the familiar noises of my childhood.  They were safe and exotic at the same time.  So yeah, asking me something as simple as what's your favorite movie is much more complicated then you would probably think.

No comments:

Post a Comment