Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Warm Bodies

One of the perks of working for Atlanta Zombie Apocalypse is that sometimes through out the year you hear about cool things like screenings and get to see movies for free on the big screen before they're released to the public.  Warm Bodies, being about zombies, was right up AZA's alley.

I went to the movie expecting it to be kind of campy and it totally could have gone that way, but it was actually very well done, really fun and I was pleasantly surprised.  I loved that they didn't explain where zombies came from, in the first five minutes they go over that it could have been an engineered virus, a disease, a monkey bite or the gates of hell; all the traditional reasons for zombies, but no one knows and it doesn't matter.  Zombies exist and that's just a fact that you have to accept to move on.  I like that the zombies have a little mystery.  I am a huge fan of zombie movies and there are so many different zombie-verses each with it's own explanation as to where zombies came from.  Sometimes it's nice for the film to be about the undead instead of why the undead exist.  I really loved the explanation of why zombies eat brains.  I'm not going to give it away, you'll just have to go see the movie, but I thought it was a very nice touch.  That's the one thing most zombie movies don't bother to explain so I'm glad they took the time to make it more interesting instead of just mindlessly wanting brains for no specific reason.

The idea of a zombie/human love story had a nice blend of eeew and awe.  You know he's dead, but you're still rooting for him to get the girl!  There were some really great one liners and a very coherent story arch.  I, and the rest of the audience, laughed out loud many times through out the film.  There were also some very touching moments that made you care and really relate to the characters.  It was a little, oh by the way in case you didn't get the message of the film, we're going to spell it out for you at the end, but it was very brief and didn't take away from the fun of the story so I'm willing to forgive it.  I thoroughly enjoyed it and would definitely recommend it to everyone!

Warm Bodies is based on Warm Bodies: A Novel by Isaac Marion.  I had never heard of it before seeing the movie, but if the book is just as clever then it's one I'm probably going to have to pick up.  I do recommend going to the Official Warm Bodies Movie Website as it has some really fun features, a game to see if your boyfriend is a zombie, zombie acting tips and more.  Warm Bodies opens this Friday, February 1st.  It's worth seeing it on the big screen and it would be an amazing date night at the drive-in.  I checked and starting this Friday it's going to be showing at the Starlight Six Drive-In here in Atlanta so there you go, right in time for Valentine's Day!


No comments:

Post a Comment