Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Recipe Test: Pineapple Angel Food Cake

My Pineapple Angel Food Cake
So I got bored and was on Pinterest again...seriously, this is what I do with my off time because it's so weird to have any I feel like I should be doing something.  So I found this recipe for Pineapple Angel Food Cake  that look ridiculously easy.  It had two ingredients and all you do is dump, mix and place in oven, I could have actually slept through the whole thing and it still would have been lovely.

Their Pineapple Angel Food Cake
I used the Duncan Hines Angel Food Cake Mix
and a 20oz can of the Kroger brand pineapple tidbits in juice.  Honestly, I followed all the instructions which is what went wrong.  The recipe said to follow the cook time on the box (approx 30-40 minutes).  The box of Duncan Hines said 38-48 minutes so I did 38 minutes.  It was a lie.  As you can see from my cake there is a dark almost, but not quite, burnt layer on the top of the cake.  Other than that, the cake was great.  I had totally forgotten that Angel Food Cake is basically the cotton candy of cakes because it had been so long since I had any.  Next time, will definitely just do the 30 minutes and then check on it.  I am not sure if it's just because my oven sucks or because I didn't put it in a bundt pan because my 9x13 has a lid which makes me happy.

Good things: this was super easy to make and pretty tasty after I scrapped off the almost burned part.  Also, it says you can use low calorie cherry, blueberry, or lemon canned pie filling instead of pineapple so it's pretty versatile.  The ingredients are cheap and it makes like 12 servings so it's great for a budget.

Bad things: The box lies...don't listen to it if it says 38-48 minutes.  

No comments:

Post a Comment